Monday, April 30, 2012

Music in our Schools Month


How we celebrated "Music in our Schools Month" 


As a first year teacher, I had no idea how they had previously celebrated “Music in our Schools Month” So I decided to do something that would only take about 10 minutes. (I teach 25 minute classes) I had the kids complete the sentence:

Music means________________ to me.

I had the older kids complete it on a piece of paper and I went around and asked grades K and 1. A first grader asked if the teachers were going to complete the sentence too- sometimes kids give you your best ideas, so I had all the teachers and faculty complete the sentence as well.

When I had gathered all of my answers I plugged them into the website: wordle.net  by grade level and created word clouds. I made them bigger on the copier and covered one of my blank walls with it (since I have very limited bulletin board space.) The kids loved finding their answers and seeing which answers were more popular and which answers were extremely unique!


Now I have to come up with something just as creative and new for next year… YIKES! 


2 comments:

  1. I've read all that you've posted. You have some wonderful ideas and this was just your first year! Coming up will be my 30th year of teaching, and I'm always looking for new ideas. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There!

    I love your blog, you have some really great ideas! I am a 2nd year elementary music teacher and am working on starting up my blog again (Music Teacher Lady http://musicteacherlady.blogspot.com/) and I linked to this GREAT Music In Our Schools Month post. I hope that is alright! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete