Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Reading Corner

Reading Corner

I often read books to my primary grades. This is a great cross-curricular activity. I’ve been inspired by Artie Almeida and have used several of her lessons as well as created some of my own! I bought a rocking chair at a garage sale this past summer before I began my first year teaching. I didn’t know exactly where to put it in my classroom so for a while it was “find the rocking chair and sit in front of it!”

I realized that it wasn’t the best classroom management and I needed a designated area in my classroom for these kinds of lessons. I looked around at other classrooms and realized a lot of teachers have a “designated reading area” I used my PTA money and bought a cheap rug and lamp at Wal Mart and put it in the back corner of my room. Now I start every Kindergarten class there. They know exactly where to go when they enter the room. We sing the Hello Song and then we can stay there or move to a circle or another section of the room.

I would like to have other “designated” areas in my room. For example, a “singing area” where I have two risers set up at all times. And a “circle area,” whenever we sit in a circle it is in that exact spot. 



I use the small rocking chair if a kid is leading a singing game. The bear is "Jazz" the Birthday Bear. (Another idea borrowed from my amazing cooperating teacher) Kids can hold him on their birthday, or the music class after their birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment